Sunday, November 30, 2014

Interviewing tips for newbies

I've changed jobs about a dozen times (so far) in my career, and I've been on the other side of the coin many times as well.  So I think I've gained some insights into the interview process.  The last time I posted something on this topic was June of last year (and a follow-up as well).   So this topic came to mind when something else happened a couple weeks ago.

My udergrad alam-mater contacted me about a new alumni mentoring initiative they had started.  This is certainly nothing new - many colleges do it - nor was I special in being contacted.  I added my name to the list and filled out the online data form, and then I started thinking about what the heck I would actually tell someone if they contacted me.

One of the most intimidating aspects of getting a new job after college (at least for me) was the first job interview.  So here's a few things I jotted down.
  1. Check out the company.  This should be obvious nowadays.  Check out the company website.  Then dig deeper: what division would you work for, what do they make, who are their competitors, etc.
  2. Check out the interviewers.   Look at their LinkedIn profiles.  Look at any papers they've published.  Who do they report to?
  3. Review the technology.  If you're not that familiar with the industry, spend a couple days and get familiar.  Download a PDF primer, read about it on wikipedia, whatever.
  4. Consider what you'll be testing.   (This one is very specific to test engineering, but that's what I do.)     Find out what you'd be testing and spend some time thinking about how you would test it.  I guarantee you will be asked questions relating to that topic. 
If I do ever get contacted, maybe I'll write about the actual experience.

No comments: