Saturday, December 7, 2013

Labview versioning hell, pt 2

Back in July I wanted to look at some fairly old code I had stumbled across - in the past I've had to do this a time or three.  This code was too old to up-convert with the version of LV I had, and I didn't have access to any older versions of LV.  While I worked on posting the code online to ask someone to convert it for me, I posted a suggestion to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange.

Basically, I was asking for a way to at least view very old code, and maybe include reasons for why it couldn't be up-converted.  The response I got was, basically, "If you are an SSP member you can download older LV versions.  If you don't pay to keep up your SSP, you're SOL."

Needless to say, I found that less than satisfying.  First of all, why would I want to spend the time and effort to download and keep track of older versions of Labview?  Second, it sounds like just another way to have owners of the LV software to continually pay money to NI...






No comments: